FIVE GOOD THINGS FOR THURSDAY
It’s cold and wet, and grey and January, so we need something to cheer us up. Here’s what’s cheered me up so far this week:
1. Hooray for Nathan Filer who won the overall Costa Book of the Year for his debut novel The Shock of the Fall – the most affecting novel I’ve read in a long time – it’s stunning, and everyone should read it. And for twice shortlisted Angela Readman who won the short story prize – another northern writer!!
2. The pictures of my daughter Katie’s wedding dress – it was bought in December and we’d almost forgotten what it looked like – the shop kindly took photos for Katie. I’d forgotten how beautiful it was and I can’t wait to see her in it on the day.
3. Making it to number 4 in the Amazon charts with my new book on writing From Writing With Love - slipping now but it was good while it lasted.
4. Some lovely messages of support about the book from my newsletter readers, like these: thank you for the newsletter you send every week -it has encouraged a ‘new’ writer to keep on writing…. I always look forward to your weekly letter of support and signposts to further reading and writing…I find your blog writing encouraging, practical and inspiring.
The thing is, we mostly don’t know what people think until they tell us and when they do it can be really heartening.
5. Looking forward to a glass of champagne with my writing buddy Wendy to properly launch our new books. Read about her writer’s memoir HERE
So January’s not all bad – just February to go now and we should get a glimpse of spring. And I forgot to say – also cheering me up this week, the hyacinths on the table and the snowdrops in the garden.
If you would like to receive my FREE weekly newsletter – do sign up on the right.